Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Hours 8 - 9: The Road to Riften part 2

In the morning we set off for Riften once more. We pass through a wooded area filled with golden-leaved trees, which is infested with frostbite spiders. I absolutely hate these things, as they look and sound disgusting, but fortunately Anneke is able to deal with most of them herself. I spy an Orc fortress just off the road.


Orcs are renowned warriors and craft some of the best weapons and armour in the land, so why are their forts always so primitive? It strikes me that TES tries to have it both ways with Orcs, retaining their 'primitive, savage' trope from most other fantasy, but also trying to say they're just another strand of Elf, can craft exquisite armour just like any other Elves, and are merely misunderstood. Not keen. I sneak in, but am beset by dozens of Orcs far too strong for me, so I reload and leave it alone. Strangely, there's a lone Giant hanging around nearby.

A short way further and I sense we're not too far off Riften. However, I see this amazing ruin nestled in the mountains and decide I have to explore it:


How awesome does that look! It turns out to be Darklight Tower, which I don't recall ever visting with a previous character. There's a mage inside called Illia who asks for help defeating her evil witch mother who's at the top of the tower. We fight our way up (with Illia doing most of the killing). Illia then plans to present me as a sacrifice to her mother so she can sneak attack and kill her. After this fails and her mother kills us all with spells, I reload and decide the plan is far too elaborate. Next time, as soon as we arrive I walk up to her mother and deliver a swift uppercut with my Elven mace, slaying her on the spot.

I get a bit of treasure as a reward. Illia seems awesome and quite powerful, so I part ways with Anneke and have Illia follow me. She seemed at a loose end anyway.

We soon reach Riften. I'd forgotten how much I like this place, and spend a while exploring and selling my loot. In the alchemists store I bump into one of the Blackbriar family and talk to her for a bit. Illia looks absolutely furious:


I make sure to visit the Blackbriar Meadery and pick up some mead for the Jarl of Falkreath. That's why I came all this way, after all. I head to the Bee and Barn and rent a room, and beings another 2 hours of gameplay to a close.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hours 15 - 16: Windhelm to Whiterun

After paying a visit to the shrine of Talos, below, I decide it's high time to return to Falkreath with the mead, passing through Whiter...